Review Article In International Ayurvedic Medical Journal:
Diabetes Mellitus is a metabolic disorder of multiple etiology, characterized by chronic hyperglycemia with disturbances of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins metabolism resulting from defects in insulin secretion, insulin action, or both. In Ayurveda, this condition can be explained as madhumeha. It is one of the types of prameha where the patient passes honey-like sweet urine (raised sugar in urine and hyperglycemia).
Long term complications with Diabetes MelitusIn this disorder, long-term complications are:
1. Metabolic complications like ketoacidosis and hyperosmolar coma.
2. Infective – bacterial and fungal infections of the skin, mucosa, soft tissue bone, urinary tract, and lungs.
3. Atherosclerosis, coronary heart disease.
4. Cerebrovascular disease and peripheral vascular disease.
5. Diabetic ulcer (diabetic foot).
7. Retinopathy related to the eye.
8. Neuropathy (poly, mono, and autonomic).
9.Nephropathy related to kidney.
10. Therapy complications include hypoglycemia, insulin resistance, allergy, lipodystrophy, and lactic acidosis.
11. Maternal and foetal disorder in GDM (gestational diabetes mellitus).